Titanium fasteners are best known for being strong, lightweight, and corrosion resistant. They are critical to many industries including chlor alkali, marine, off-shore oil and gas, desalination, medical, and pulp and paper. Grade 2 and 5 are the most commonly used grades of titanium screws:
• Grade 2 (UNS R50400 / 3.7035) :Commercially pure titanium and the most common grade for screws.
• Grade 5 (UNS R56400 / 3.7165): Superior strength-to-weight ratio for a unique combination of corrosion and high strength.
Perhaps the most notable attribute of titanium is its superior corrosion resistance to salt water or seawater. Titanium screws have the unique ability to rapidly regrow their protective passive layer in the presence of oxygen, giving them unparalleled resistance to salt water environments.
• Proven resistance in decades of polluted seawater
• Usable in ocean depths of a mile beneath the surface
• Resistant to high velocity, rapidly moving currents as well as stagnant seawater
• Not affected by the presence of sulfides in seawater
• Ideal for sea splash and tide zones
• Seawater resistant to temperatures as high as 500°F (260°C)
Chloride, Chlorine & Other Media
Similar to salt water, titanium’s strong, protective oxide film which regenerates in oxygen makes it extremely resistant to oxidizing environments, and chlorides solutions, including hypochlorites, chlorates, perchlorates, sodium chlorite, and chlorine dioxide. This protection holds true as long as moisture is present – which can be as little as 50ppm of moisture. Oxidizing environments in the absence of water can cause titanium to rapidly corrode or even ignite. Titanium screws are not resistant to reducing media and acids .
Not only are titanium grade 5 fasteners extremely strong, offering 148 ksi UTS and 138ksi yield they are also incredibly light. With a density of 4.51 g per cm3, titanium has on of the the highest strength-to-weight ratios available to industry. Titanium Grade 5 screws are 4 times stronger than 316 stainless steel at nearly half the weight. This makes titanium fasteners ideal for applications that require both lightness of weight and excellent strength such medical, military and sporting goods.
Which Grade is Best for Your Application?
The most common grades of of Titanium fasteners are Grade 2 and Grade 5. Still now sure? With decades of materials expertise and industrial experience, our engineers can help you select the best titanium fastener for your application.
Titanium Fastener Stock and Availability
Titanium screws, bolts, nuts, washers, lock washers, hose clamps and threaded rods are stocked and ready to ship. Below is a list of some of the most commonly stocked sizes but please check with us as other sizes are available and our stock is updated regularly.
• Grade 2: Sizes M2 - M8; #2 - 3/8”
• Grade 5: Sizes M2 – M16; #4 – ½”
Titanium screw styles, if not in stock, can be made to order with minimum quantities, typically around 25 pcs. We also can provide fasteners in Titanium grade 7 and grade 23. The normal lead time for standard titanium is only few days. For custom titanium fasteners, we can typically ship in about 3 weeks. Be sure to contact us for specific lead times and expediting needs.
• Diameter sizes: Standard #00 – 4” in diameter / Metric M1.2 – M48
• Threads: UNC, UNF, UNJ, UNR, Rolled or Cut
• Minimum Volume – Typically 25pcs depending on size and stock
• Custom to print
• All ANSI/ASME and DIN / ISO standards
• NACE MR0175, ASTM, ASME, MIL specifications, DFAR and Domestic available
Time critical? Just let us know! We have a large stock of grade 2 and 5 titanium fasteners, ready to ship and do our best to accommodate your needs.